Any client hosting provider wants his site to work around the clock, not only around the clock, but also with maximum performance. It is for this purpose that both parties may conclude a service level agreement or SLA (Service Level Agreement). Such a contract is a formal document between the Service Provider and the Customer. The contract itself prescribes the service, duties and rights of each of the parties. But this is her most important, because the most important thing is clarifying the level of quality of the service provided.
In most cases, the SLA terminology itself is used as an abbreviation of telecommunications services. An agreement or an agreement may well contain a detailed service with an indication of the list of service parameters, methodology and devices for checking the services provided. It also indicates the response time of the service provider with mandatory penalties applicable in case of violation of the agreement.
It is worth paying attention to the fact that all the parameters stipulated by the agreement on the provision of services must have a measurement, be reduced to numerical metrics, on the basis of which the user will be able to fully assess the quality of the service.
Take, for example, the time during which the site or domain of the user was unavailable or the maximum number of hours (days) of the site (domain) unavailability during the week / month / quarter.
It is logical that in this case it would be wrong to talk about the importance of such a parameter as the access time, since inaccessibility is dependent not only on the main provider, but also on the many smaller units, the load on the main server hosting the site and other characteristics for which the provider simply has no influence.
As a rule, the definition is taken, according to which the period of the service provision is specified with the further provision of a report on the agreed and measured parameters of the service. The international standards ITIL and Cobit describe a wide variety of examples of such agreements on SLA, they also provide various recommendations on the methodology for assessing the levels of efficiency used during the analysis of the services provided.
If you refer to the typical SLA model, then here are the following items:
- A clear definition of the service itself with a description of the parties to the contract, as well as the duration of such a contract.
- The period (with the indication of hours and days) of the service provision, together with the service testing, the modernization procedure and the duration of support from the service provider.
- Specify the number of users of the service with the exact placement of the latter.
- A detailed description of the reporting documentation, with subsequent damages. It also takes into account the reporting period for the service provided.
- A detailed description of the procedure for changing the service, in some cases, taking into account the expected time of such a procedure.
- A detailed listing of the specifications of the target quality levels of the service provided.
- Payment system of service with the full amount of cooperation or division into specific time intervals.
- Obligations of the parties to the contract and responsibility when performing technical work with the server.
- Methods for resolving disputes arising from the service provided.